Terence Trent D'Arby Quotes

1. I look at writing and recording like going to the toilet.



2. Take Whitney Houston - after a month of waking up next to her life would get very boring.



3. I've always been blessed or cursed with perception.

4. I may say a lot of strange and incomprehensible things as far as other people are concerned, but that is the way of all brilliance.

5. I do have some very strange thoughts - still, all geniuses are mad aren't they?


6. I think I'm a GENIUS. Point F#*king blank.






7. I admit I'm arrogant but not that arrogant - my arrogance is cool.

8. I had a job writing in a weekly newspaper but after a while that got boring because I realized the people I was interviewing were far less interesting than me and I didn't see why I should be talking to them.


9. I've delivered the goods, and f#*k anybody who doesn't agree with me.






10. I am a true soul genius and, unlike certain other singers, 100 per cent man.

11. For the past few years, I have been involved in taking control of my life from the industry. You find yourself in a scenario where you think you understand something, you are young after all, you wake up and realize that you need to grab the situation. There was a lot of energy going into the wrong places. All artists, if you last long enough, you realize that there is something you need to get out of. Just challenging myself to take back the control, I was being dominated in my life. Back into my command, and live in a way that best fits my own ideals.


12. You have to understand that it is really difficult because Americans do not recognize irony in a way that Brits do. There is no doubt that I had some naïve lessons to learn. Whether I was joking or serious, it did not matter. It was a running gag, but by the time the quote would get to the U.S., it would grow in proportion to the point that I would try to find new things to say to hype the album, like: "This is the best debut by a left-handed guy who was born in the Northern hemisphere." It made great copy but it was clear that unless you are there, it was very hard to appreciate it.

13. It was a persona I had perfected. I kind of felt like I could do this, but it was a while before I saw that some of these things could come back and haunt you. Not that I am trying to be revisionist. I recall these two young ladies at one radio station, and only because of one thing that they had heard in an interview, and the fact that they would not even get to know me, was an eye opener. But me comparing myself to The Beatles was the same thing as Lennon comparing himself to Jesus...basically you are sincere with uplifting humanity through your trials.

14. Sometimes we work on the bag, it is good stamina-building stuff…but it was a period I grew up in, like many kids, it was a very oppressed field I was in…it is like being with someone you are intimidated by. Boxing for me was an outlet that I could see myself as a lover not a fighter you see…to see that I had just as much right as the next man…I was very impressed with this natural gift I had for it. You saw there was a harmless person but inside there was a beast…a lot of it had to do with me being abandoned by my father. At the time, boxing suppressed energy, once I saw I could protect myself in such a masculine way, I went back to the direction of the poet side of our male psyche.

15. I think I have learned that life is short but we as people are complex...we are. It is kind of like we are stuck on the idea that we are one thing or another, men can feel love and hate in the same breath...there tends to be more than one force, that forces you in such a dramatic fashion. You do not simply get up and walk toward a certain direction, you know...but the first year of my service, I was a model soldier - a sleeper - a soldier who was moving up the ranks very fast, I was being considered for the rank of sergeant, then I had this urge not to express myself in a military way.

16. Open yourself to a new state of mind, your experiences are not really what you want to appreciate...but I want to respect the army because I learned a lot in there, same thing with boxing. If a man wants to apply himself to a task, then there is really no task you can't do. As much of an individualist an artist may be...I tried for the boy scouts and they would not take me...But in the army, I had a chance to sort of be a boy scout. So I do not want to put down the army.

17. Listen, I could not possibly think of a form of mind control that it would take to convince me for any reason to drop what I do now to go and fight for someone's fight for geopolitical repositioning of energy resources...you know?


18. Well, having chosen to go independent and not having the force or resources to do what major labels do, it allowed me to be more creative and gave me more space. It shows, when you don't have to push the issue, you can be more creative. I may do a bridge project because of the work that is jumping out at me...I want to give retail a warning before Sananda Maitreya, Sananda Maitreya Records breaks out...I have something working out right now, around February, it should hit North American shores...the best thing is not having an idiot manager...at this point in my life...as long as you follow your joy, your creative passion, you will always be stimulated...stimulation is the key to financial success...keep yourself stimulated, give yourself more chances to stimulate yourself and stop stressing so much...stress, stress, stress...keep working before they ship your job overseas.

19. Everything has happened through some kind of luck, I have heard everything I have ever made, why should my life be different from Beethoven's, Miles Davis' or Jimi Hendrix's, or anyone else's I look up to? People will say: "why did you do this, why did you do that?"




20. I was born Terence Trent Howard.

21. I haven't been Terence since I was 33 years old, no matter how descriptive you can be, no one can touch what actually happened...it has nothing to do with religion, I know that there are religious connections, but it has nothing to do with religion, but it was a realization of so many things that happened...this was the life I got, not the life I dreamt...I kept hearing the name Sananda called out...he mental framework of Terence Trent D'Arby was compromised...a new identity was offered, I felt that I may or may not be ridiculed, but I found a new sense, and that if I felt the trust, then I could do more than I would have as Terence Trent D'Arby.



What do you think of Terence Trent D'Arby's quotes?


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

  1. Hi Katherina :) I nominated your blog for the Liebster Award. You can know more of here: http://fashchronicles.blogspot.com/2012/11/liebster-award.html

    Would love to read your post :)

    XO

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts